Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Thirty Days of Gratitude - Day 14: Photographs

Photo by The Purple Lady
I was uploading photos from my husband's and my combined birthday dinner last week, and I couldn't help but laugh at some of the photos that we took. One was with little Mr. L (my 2-year-old monster-in-training) picking his nose. Haha. One with Crazy Grandpa (my dad) making funny faces at one of the kids. And then, there were the super cute ones that I got of the baby smiling - among many others that I took of family members that were there.

Looking over these photos made me realize how blessed we are to have the technology that makes capturing these precious moments possible. I can't tell you how many times I have gone back and looked at old photos from events like this one - moments I had completely forgotten about, but was instantly brought back by the magic of a photo.

Photographs allow us to see pictures of family members we may have never known who passed on from this world before we were born, or before we were "adopted" (by marriage, etc.) into their family. Then there are those photos of deceased family members that we did know and miss terribly. They allow us the precious opportunity to once again gaze upon that person's face and smile in loving memory of them. Photos also help us to rewind time and look back on our children when they were younger - to see how much they have grown.

History books show us photographs of historical figures that lived long before our time, giving us the opportunity to truly grasp that person's appearance. I mean, imagine if we didn't know what Abraham Lincoln looked like, or Elvis Presley (who died before I was born) for that matter. That'd just be weird. ;)

So, today I am grateful for photographs. They are truly amazing things. :)



Related Links:

Thirty Days of Gratitude: Family

All Things Purple: Thirty Days of Gratitude

No comments:

Post a Comment