Thursday, October 4, 2012

Counting my blessings!

I found out earlier today that a family friend, who was only 23 years old, passed away of cancer yesterday. I knew that she was sick, but I thought she was doing better after a bone marrow transplant, so this news came as quite a shock to me.

It is just seriously so sad when someone so young is taken from this Earth. I know that Heavenly Father has a plan for her - one that is bigger than our human minds can possibly comprehend, and I know that she is in a better place where she is no longer suffering. Even so, my heart is still breaking for her mom, who has lost her oldest daughter, for her baby sister, and for her new husband. They are in my thoughts and prayers today, and I hope that at this time of sorrow, they will find comfort in the arms of our loving Savior.

I find myself reflecting tonight on how blessed I truly am to have such beautiful, healthy children, and I am reminded of how delicate life is. I am also reminded to stop dwelling on the silly, petty, imperfect things in life, to cherish every precious moment I have with the ones I love, and most importantly: to count my blessings.

I am grateful today for a loving husband who works hard to support his family. In addition to his extremely exhausting work schedule, he goes to school, performs with the Las Vegas Philharmonic, gives private lessons, and basically never gets a break or a proper amount of sleep - yet the man never complains. He is a man of integrity who honors his priesthood, serves the Lord faithfully, and loves his family unconditionally. He is so good to us, and I thank Heavenly Father for him every day.

I am also grateful for my children, who bless my life with such immense joy. Each of them is a valued member of our family, and I can't imagine life without them. I will give each of them a hug tonight and thank Heavenly Father for blessing me with another day to hold them in my arms.

Finally, I am grateful for the gospel in my life, and for the knowledge I possess that we have such a loving Heavenly Father who gave us his Plan of Happiness, and will guide and comfort us in our times of sorrow. It is such a blessing to know that because of His love, we are afforded the opportunity to be sealed to our families for time and all eternity - and it is times like these that remind me of how precious this blessing truly is. The gospel allows us to see things from an eternal perspective when me might otherwise be tempted to let these trials in life weigh us down.

So, to my friends: Thank you for the many amazing times you have been there for me - provided a listening ear or a shoulder to cry on. I value your friendship and cherish your love and loyalty.

To my ward members: Thank you for always being there to uplift me and encourage me to be a better mother and disciple of Christ. They say that it takes a village to raise a child, and I am so grateful for the valuable examples that each of you has set for my children. You are all like family to me, and I treasure the ways that you all have enriched my life and blessed my family.

And to my family: I love you with all of my heart, and I thank Heavenly Father for each of you - and for the blessings you bring to my life. You have stood by my side through the good times and bad, and I am who I am today because of you.

I pray that each of us can take a moment today to reflect on the marvelous gift of life that we have so graciously been given, and for the ability we still possess to tell our family members and loved ones how much they are loved and appreciated. Life is precious - an amazing gift that should not be taken for granted. Let's all be grateful today for the time we do have left on this Earth as we honor the memory of one of our Heavenly Father's beloved children.

For my family! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment