Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Grateful Heart

President Thomas S. Monson's The Divine Gift of Gratitude

Almost three weeks ago, Z was driving the car home from work when the engine seized. He had it towed into the mechanic, wherein it was determined that an engine rebuild would be necessary. The mechanic sent the engine into the machine shop and discovered that there was actually a large hole in the wall of the engine. 

Today is Thankful Thursday, and words cannot express the enormous amount of gratitude I feel for everyone who has helped me in any capacity with carting kids around (among other things) these last few weeks. I know that certain people would like to maintain their anonymity in a public venue such as this; and therefore, I won't name any specific names, but I hope that everyone I mention will recognize my gratitude for their willingness to help my family and me in this unfortunate time.

First of all, I'd like to express my gratitude for the wonderful members of my ward with whom we carpool to and from school. I usually drive the kids to school in the mornings, but I have been extremely fortunate in the fact that since my car has been out of commission, one sister offered to drive in the mornings (until our car is out of the shop) AND continue to alternate in the afternoons with our other friend from the ward as well. I am grateful for both of these sisters, and I hope that each of them realizes how much I appreciate their service to my family and me. I am also grateful for the sisters in our ward that have made sure that M was able to get to and from mutual these last three weeks. I am grateful to my visiting teaching companion, as well, for the rides she has given M to mutual and choir, as well as for her willingness to drive me around to visit with our sisters. I am grateful for the sister with whom I taught nursery (who I have come to know and love dearly). She has been so understanding and willing to help as well. She has driven M several times to and from Civil Air Patrol. I am also grateful for the fact that she has a son in the same program, and I hope that it made the process less of an inconvenience. Hehe. Seriously though, I have such an amazing, loving ward, and I am so grateful for its members' willingness to serve us and enrich our lives these past few weeks.

I am grateful for my sister, who has lent me her car on several occasions. It's amazing how inconvenient something as simple as a trip to the grocery store can be when you don't have a vehicle. She even offered to stay at my house with the kids one day while I drove her car to the store by myself. Only a mother who has or ever had small children can understand and appreciate the value of getting out of the house for an hour or two on your own every once in a while - even if it's just for a quick trip to the grocery store. She lent me her car again yesterday too so that I could run the kids to their doctor appointments, and I don't know what I would have done without her generosity. ;)

I am also grateful to my mom for lending me her car this past weekend, AND for watching my kids so that I could attend my book club meeting. It was a luxury that was desperately needed, one that could not have been afforded without her. Also, the opportunity to actually participate in some intellectual, thought-provoking conversation was invaluable. As a stay-at-home-mom, these last few weeks have been challenging in the fact that the babies and I were pretty much stuck at the house. I, personally, was getting a bit stir crazy, and the book club meeting was serious food for my soul. I left feeling thoroughly refreshed and edified. I was also able to FINALLY get a double stroller while I had her car, so now, I can take the babies for walks during the day to get out of the hosue and get some exercise. So, thank you, Mom. 

Thank you, as well, to my awesome husband who stayed up to watch the babies for me this morning (after working a graveyard shift) so that I could take the Tubabus to an appointment that I had scheduled before the car broke down. I would have had to leave exorbitantly early and walk in the cold - with them in the stroller (the bus doesn't have any seat belts for car seats) - had he not been willing to stay up for a few extra hours to help me out.

Last, but not least, I am grateful to the Lord for blessing me with such amazing people in my life that continue to uplift and inspire me when I am faced with adversity. I feel truly blessed, and I know that this recent experience could have been a LOT more painful - not to mention ridiculously hopeless - had so many people not been willing to sacrifice of themselves to provide for my family and me. So, thank you - from the bottom of my heart. I love you all and appreciate you sincerely. <3


Related link:

The Blessing of Scripture

No comments:

Post a Comment