Monday, February 11, 2013

The Colors of Nostalgia

When I was a child (I believe it was around the time that I was 12), we remodeled our house, converting the garage and adding onto the back to create a mother-in-law quarters for my dad's parents. We also added several feet to the front of the house, expanding the width of the living room, added a bay window (I always wished we'd added a bench seat in the window too. It would have been the perfect spot for reading), and replaced all the flooring in the house. My dad also re-stuccoed the outside of the house as well. 

My mom chose a light pink color for the stucco - as well as for the carpets in the main part of the house (a color which I am sure she came to regret later. That carpet was ridiculously difficult to keep clean), but we got to decide what color we wanted the carpet in our bedrooms. My older sister and I shared a room, and we chose a dark blue for the carpet. My two brothers also shared a room, and they chose a sort of aqua green color. All of the walls in the house were always plain white, though. I guess my mom was never into painting accent walls. Hehe. 

We lived in that house from the time that I was 10 years old until just after I graduated from high school, so that is where I spent a good portion of my adolescence. I have so many memories of that house, and I often drive by when I am on that side of town - just to feel a sense of connection to my childhood, I guess. Nostalgia is a funny thing. It sneaks up on you when you least expect it. ;)

It's kinda funny to think that we currently live in the house that my husband grew up in. To think that he has so many memories here - and that our own children are creating memories here too. It makes me wonder how they will remember things. It also makes me want to replace some old carpets. Hehe.



related link:

52 Gems of Reflection

No comments:

Post a Comment