Monday, February 25, 2013

Favorite Movies and FTSOY

Week 8: What do you think about movies?  What is your favorite movie and why?

So, what can I say about movies? Other than the fact that I LOVE them! There is just something magical about the idea of a movie - from the enchanting experience of seeing them in theaters (butter popcorn and candy in tow - and I don't care how often I go, it's still an adventure), to the relaxing occurrence of a movie night at home with my family.

I have so many favorite movies too. It's hard to pick just one. So, I think I will list my top 10 (in no particular order):

1. Pride & Prejudice (BBC version)
2. Sense & Sensibility (Ang Lee - 1995)
3. Jane Eyre (Masterpiece Theater -  1996)
4. North And South (Elizabeth Gaskell - 1994)
5. The Young Victoria
6. Harry Potter (the whole series)
7. Stardust
8. The Count of Monte Cristo (Kevin Reynolds - 2002)
9. Enchanted
10. Leap Year

As you can tell, I am a huge fan of period films. And I know what you are thinking - yes, I am a sucker for a good romance movie with a happy ending, and I am not ashamed to admit it. In reference to the above-listed movies in particular; though, I could watch them OVER and over without ever growing weary. I could actually do a top-20 list without blinking, but I figured that it might be a little excessive for this particular post, so I controlled my inner movie fanatic and kept it to just the top 10. ;) 

There are actually a few movies I would add to this list, if they weren't rated R. But since I don't watch them anymore (I went through a little rebellious stage in my early 20's, but have since seen the light, and have rectified my conviction on the subject), I won't even go there. 

I personally don't see the point of rated R movies, though. I mean, what usually makes a movie rated R? Sex? Profanity? Violence? Nudity? I know these things are what sells in this day and age, but I think it is really unfortunate that people (in general) require that type of content in order to be entertained. I am sure that the majority of the population has just been so desensitized that content with this level of shock value is almost necessary for them to feel anything? Even then, the shock value of certain types of content has definitely dwindled significantly. What used to be appalling and controversial has become a part of society's new norm. I don't really need to go into a rant about the argument of Rated R movies being an unnecessary evil, though. You can refer to the For the Strength of Youth pamphlet if you have any questions on that score. ;)






Related Link:


No comments:

Post a Comment