Monday, July 30, 2012

Curve Balls

So, I did something tonight that I haven't done in what seems like forever - I logged onto my MySpace account. I know, I know - the shock and awe. haha. In doing so though, I came across a blog post that I wrote in January, 2007. I had just started dating my husband a month or so before, and so the relationship was still pretty new and exciting. Reading over my feelings that I was experiencing at that time was so refreshing. I almost feel like a giddy school girl all over again. ;)

We have been married for five years now, and though I love my husband more and more every day (despite the little idiosyncrasies we discover upon living for a time with our spouses. haha), it reminded me of what I saw in him when our relationship was still in its infancy, and I am grateful for that quick glimpse into the past, when things were new and our future together was still an unwritten blessing that was yet to be revealed.

We have come so far in these five years of marriage, and have overcome so much together. I just hope that I am always able to see him through those same loving eyes, and that my heart is always filled with as much promise and hope as I felt the day I wrote down my feelings about the new man that had just come into my life -  the man who would become my best friend and bless me with such beautiful, healthy children, who would continue to honor his marriage covenants and inspire me to be the best version of myself.

So, if I ever start hanging up decorations for a pity party - for whatever silly reason it might be, whether we've just had a quarrel or because he has done something that has completely blown my mind, leaving me with a bewildered expression on my face, shaking my fists and shouting, "What were you thinking?" (Come on, I know you've all been there. haha), I will refer to this blog post to remind myself how truly lucky I am to have been blessed with a husband that I love, who genuinely loves me in return:


Do you remember when you were little, and your mom always told you that sometimes life throws you curve balls??? Well, my life has definitely thrown me my share of curve balls - but something else my mom has always drilled into my head was the fact that EVERYTHING happens for a reason, and though we may not understand at the time WHY something happens, with time and patience, God's plan will eventually be revealed - just not until the time is right. I just think it is CRAZY how true that really is (funny thing how the older I get, the more the stuff my mom used to say actually makes sense). I mean, two months ago, I NEVER would have thought that I could be as happy as I am today. I was at a place in my life where I literally had given up on ever finding true happiness again. I was basically living from day to day trying to figure out why so many things had gone wrong in my life. I am a decent person. Why was I having such a run of bad luck??? But then...when you least expect it, life throws you another curve ball; only this time, it's one that turns your life upside down - makes you smile to the point that your cheeks ache. I mean, how amazing it is to have found someone that I can honestly see myself growing old with - someone who complements me in every aspect of who I am, makes me want to be a stronger person; someone who makes me smile just by looking at me with those big, brown eyes...


And even after spending an entire day with him, I start to miss him again from the moment we say, "Goodnight." I no longer find myself asking the question, "Why me? I am a good person. What did I do to deserve this?" Now, I find myself asking, "What could I possibly have done so right to deserve such happiness?" There are even times that I find myself staring into his beautiful eyes...fighting back the tears because I am so overwhelmed with the love that I have for this man, and the amazement that it's actually real - that God lead him to ME.

I thank God every day for the blessings in my life...for my health, my family, and for the love that I share with all of my friends that I hold so dear to my heart. But I can never thank Him enough for allowing me to finally find what it is that my heart truly desires...an eternal companion. I honestly never imagined that I would find someone so amazing, so loving, so kind, so sincere - it just goes to show that God DOES answer prayers, and that everything DOES happen for a reason. You just have to have a little faith - with good works - and God WILL take care of the rest. 

6 comments:

  1. I needed to heart this message of hope. Thank you for sharing your inner feelings so openly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there were a "like" button on here. hehe. I love you, Lar, and I know that your happy ending is in sight. Heavenly Father is preparing a man for you that will cherish every aspect of who you are...you'll see. <3

      Delete
  2. I love it when I can go back and find gems like this! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It definitely made me stop and count my blessings. It's like having the rare opportunity to peer back into the mind of your former self. Maybe that is why we are counseled to keep a journel, eh? Not just for generations to come, but so that we too may look back on certain experiences in our lives and remember exactly what we were feeling in that moment. Good stuff. :)

      Delete
  3. Shannon! I remember reading this when you first posted it, and today I was thinking about it. This is exactly what I needed to hear today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. that comment was from, me, Jenny Cooper.

    ReplyDelete