Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A Hope of Heaven's Light

It seems lately that too many people in my circle of influence, who I care about deeply, have been plagued by the bitter sting of divorce, and it breaks my heart to watch them suffer so cruelly, whilst I stand helplessly on the sidelines, feeling like nothing I do is sufficient to bring them comfort. To see such loving, amazingly selfless people experience feelings of worthlessness and failure is truly a tragedy, and I find myself praying for wisdom to discover ways of supporting and uplifting them.

Upon visiting with a most beloved family member recently, and having the rare opportunity to witness, firsthand, the pain and frustration that have become the new version of "normal" in her life, I found myself being reminded of a poem I wrote a few years ago when I was going through a similarly difficult time myself. It is a poem of hope, and I pray that she (you know who you are), along with others who are facing equally disheartening trials at present, will remember that Heavenly Father allows us to experience trials, not only to test our faith, but to strengthen our character. I am not sure what grand lesson is meant to be learned from all this heart ache, but I do know that Heavenly Father loves us and is always there to lift us up in our moments of darkness. I only pray that this poem will remind those who are struggling that hope is in sight, and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Alas, a fair one - wounded, yet she stands
Broken by the sting of winter's cold.
Reluctant, still, to take an offered hand,
Concealed, her scars reveal the traveled road.

But in the spring, a window opens there.
A new light spills onto the darkened path.
Relaxed, she takes a breath of youthful air,
And wipes the tear replaced now by a laugh.

Her weary soul concedes to start anew.
Finally, an end to dark of night.
A broken heart again begins to bloom
Given but a hope of Heaven's light.


1 comment: