Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Period films are my cup of tea.

I was looking some stuff up on imdb.com (the internet movie data base) the other night and came across this list of the best period films/series. I don't know about you, but I absolutely ADORE period films/series, and some of my favorites are on this list: The Young Victoria, Downton Abbey, BBC's Pride & Prejudice, Ang Lee's Sense & Sensibility (with Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman, Kate Winslet & Hugh Grant), Masterpiece Theater's Jane Eyre (2006), Anne of Green Gables, The Count of Monte Cristo, etc.

Looking at this list made me realize how many different versions there are of some of these films. Almost everyone of the films adapted by a Jane Austen book has at least two versions, some of which I have seen all versions. Some of the less popular ones I haven't seen; though, and I find myself wondering which versions are worth seeing and which are absolute rubbish. I know that some of the titles on the list are Rated R, so let's not include those ones, but I am anxious to hear your opinions on the others. :)

One of my favorite period films of all time:
Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0962736/
Queen Victoria: [sobbing] I'm so sorry! I thought I was going to lose you! 
Prince Albert: I don't think he was a very good shot. 
Queen Victoria: Why did you do it? So stupid, why did you do it? 
Prince Albert: I had two very good reasons. First, I am replaceable and you are not. 
Queen Victoria: You are not replaceable to me! 
Prince Albert: Second, you're the only wife I've got or ever will have. You are my whole existence, and I will love you until my very last breath. 


No comments:

Post a Comment