Friday, September 14, 2012

Music to my ears

It's amazing to me how incredibly remarkable the human brain is. Now, I am no scientist (never really did all that well in science growing up, as a matter of fact), so I can't even begin to give the biological explanation for how it is possible for our brains to store the memory of a certain smell, or the taste of a certain food, but it blows my mind that we have the capability of recalling said tastes and smells upon simply thinking of its source.

For example, think of the last time you ate a slice of pizza - or a mouth-watering, succulent slice of homemade apple pie. Instantly, you can remember the flavor of that yummy goodness on your tongue, and can almost taste it in your mouth. Yes, the brain is a marvelous thing.

Music has that same effect on my brain as well. I can hear a song on the radio - it can even be one that I haven't heard in years - and I am immediately back in time, re-living a moment from my past when that song had a special significance.

Anytime I hear Steve Miller Band, I remember road trips to Utah (usually, camping trips) when I was young - my crazy dad blasting the radio while all of us sang at the top of our lungs, eating road food and (me, in particular) getting car sick. haha. Or how K.C. and the Sunshine Band's "Get Down Tonight" reminds me of when we used to crank up the music in our living room (with my dad's speakers that were like 8-feet tall and almost went to the ceiling) doing "the bump." My dad was so nutso when we were growing up., and I LOVED it. :-D

Janice Kapp Perry wrote a plethora of songs that remind me of my mom. I sing them with my children now and remember the times that she and I would sing our different parts in quasi-harmonious tones, cuddling before bedtime or recording ourselves on a little hand-held tape recorder she had, playing it back for ourselves later. ;)

There are songs that bring me to recall past romances, friendships and just ordinary moments in time. Remembering some of those moments makes me sad, but others put a smile on my face, for I look back on that moment with fond memories of what once was.

One song, in particular, that has a very special significance to me is "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds. It is seriously one of the most beautifully romantic songs of our generation. And every time I hear it, I am instantly taken back to a moment right after my husband and I were married when he put together a wedding video for me compiling photos from the wedding, and laced that song to the background.

A romantic was not something I had particularly ever accused my husband of being (I have since learned that romance can manifest in many different shapes when a relationship is based on love, adoration and an eternal commitment, and I can now say that he is one of the sweetest, most genuine and subtly romantic men that I know), but I thought it was one of the most romantic gestures my husband had ever made up to that point in our relationship.

For those of you who didn't know already, my husband and I had a very brief courtship. We met in December, 2006 and were married 4 months later. He teases that he wanted to marry me so quickly before I had a chance to really get to know him. haha. Either way, we didn't have "a song" before we were married, but after that moment, we both knew that we had found THE one. Hence, the name of the blog (for those of you who were wondering). Now, every time I hear it, I smile because it reminds me of how fortunate I am to have found such an amazing man - who happens to be my husband. I truly am The Luckiest. ;) To this day, we still have it on our phones as our ring tone for each other. :-D

Anyway, with it being Friday and all, I don't want to get too serious on you guys. I came across this video featuring "The Luckiest" and I just had to share it. When I first saw it, I wasn't sure whether to laugh or shake my head in disbelief. It just made me feel...well,  kinda awkward...haha.

I am not sure what the creator of the video was going for, but luckily, I have a good sense of humor. :)



Happy Friday, all! Don't forget to be frivolous. ::evil grin::





2 comments:

  1. When Brady and I got married in 2004 this would have been our song. Brady and I are both big Ben Folds fans, but that song really just captured how we felt about each other. We too had a pretty short "courtship." Met December and married in June. It was just...right. And it has been right ever since. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand, Kennedy. It was and still is the same for us. We got a lot of grief from people who didn't think we knew each other well enough, but we knew our hearts and our commitment to each other. I know people who dated for longer and are divorced now. And here we are going strong. I know that marriage is never easy, but I am grateful for a husband who honors his priesthood and cherishes my happiness. I am truly a lucky girl. Ah heck...luck had nothing to do with it. Heavenly Father knew exactly what he was doing when he brought us together. For that, I am eternally grateful. :)

    ReplyDelete