Monday, October 14, 2013

Creating Memories in the Kitchen

Gems of Reflection #37
Handed down talents - Hmm. I would have to say that the main handed-down talent that I possess is my love for cooking and baking. I believe it originated when I was younger and would spend a lot of time with my Grandma Ruby. I would sit and watch as she made homemade biscuits and potato soup - two of my all-time favorite comfort foods. 

As I got a little older, I started helping her add the ingredients and would always delight at the finished result, knowing that I had had a hand in bringing to pass those delectable, little creations. It gave me a sense of accomplishment, a sense that I was a big and important.

I also have fond memories of making sugar cookies with my mom. We usually did this around Christmas time and Easter, and it was always so much fun to help her cut the shapes out of the dough, carefully placing them on the cookie sheet and popping them into the oven. The house would quickly be filled with the sweet aroma of yummy goodness, which always preceded my favorite part - the frosting and sprinkles. I am not sure if as much frosting made it onto the cookies as did in my tummy (hehe), but it made for some fun, quality time with my mom that I will never forget. 

I also remember making divinity with my mom, and chocolate candy with candy molds. We also did rice crispy treats (with peanut butter, yum!) and chocolate chip cookies. Spending time in the kitchen with her is one of my favorite memories, and as I became an adult and started having children of my own, I started feeling that desire to continue the tradition with my own kids.

Somewhere along the way, I developed a passion for cooking and baking. It began to become a source of stress relief for me - a way to feel in control and rejuvenated. It's also an added bonus that bringing yummy treats into fruition brings joy and pleasure to my family and friends - which ultimately brings me an even greater amount of happiness. 

It makes me happy, too, that my own children find as much joy in helping me in the kitchen now. L-Bear, My 3-year-old son, always asks to help whenever I am baking cookies, or making yummy muffins. Even when it's something as simple as french toast, he is eager to offer a hand to help, and I am thankful for these precious moments that I get to spend with him, hopefully creating some fun, lasting memories for him to cherish one day too. :)


Making cookies with Mommy. :)






Related Link:

52 Gems of Reflection

No comments:

Post a Comment