Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Delicious Strawberry Shortcake

I posted a comment on Facebook Sunday about a strawberry shortcake that I made from scratch for my family, and promised to share the recipe here on my blog. I had gotten a flat of strawberries on Saturday from a friend of mine, whose family gets them direct from California, so in an attempt to come up with some ideas on things I could make with them, I went on Pinterest to look up some fun strawberry recipes (after we ate several pints of these irresistible, succulent berries, of course. Haha).

Aren't these beautiful? They were so delicious, I hate myself. ;)

Instantly, I thought of strawberry shortcake, as these strawberries were so fresh, and tasted absolutely amazing - and strawberry shortcake just happens to be one of my favorite desserts. I happened upon this recipe from Personalrecipe.com, and decided I would try it out for dessert at my mom's house for Sunday dinner.


Sensational Strawberry Shortcake Recipe

Prep time:  15 mins
Cook time:  20 mins
Total time:  35 mins

Serves: 8

Ingredients:
  • 3 pints fresh strawberries
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ⅓ cup shortening
  • 1 egg
  • ⅔ cup milk
  • 2 cups whipped heavy cream
Instructions:

Slice the strawberries and toss them with ½ cup of white sugar. Set aside.

Strawberries and sugar...sooo yummy!

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease and flour one 8-inch round cake pan. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons white sugar and the salt. With a pastry blender, cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs (I used butter-flavored shortening, and it gave the shortcake a light, buttery flavor - delish!). Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg and milk. Stir until just combined. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. 



Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool partially in pan on wire rack.

I placed the partially-cooled cake on a plate before cutting it.

Slice partially cooled cake in half, making two layers. Place half of the strawberries on one layer and top with the other layer. Top with remaining strawberries and cover with the whipped cream. 

Yum!

And voila. There you have it - delicious, decadent strawberry shortcake. You're welcome, America. ;) It was a huge hit with my family. My mom even said that she liked it better than the store-bought stuff we usually make. ((pats self on the back)) Hehe.

Anyway, hope you get a chance to try this amazing recipe. In the meantime, check back on the blog tomorrow for a yummy strawberry jam recipe. <3

**Recipe found on PersonalRecipe.com.


Source: twowritingteachers.wordpress.com via The Purple on Pinterest




No comments:

Post a Comment