Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Lessons Learned

Gems of Reflection: Week 25
The only lessons I really took as a child were piano lessons. I started lessons when I was in middle school and it came pretty easily to me,  but I hated to practice and often got discouraged when others my age (who had been taking lessons for years) could play so much better than I could. I ended up quitting after only a few years. Now, of course, I am kicking myself in the behind because I listen to how beautifully others play the piano and I feel a bit jealous...and regretful that I didn't stick with it. So, yeah, that didn't really carry over into adulthood, unfortunately. I still remember a few simple songs that I learned when I was taking lessons, but I often think how awesome it would be to be able to just sit down at a piano and play.

Looking back at my childhood years, I realize that I quit a lot of things that were hard. Now, I look at M (who is 12) and I see her exhibiting that same tendency, and it kind of scares me. Not only because I don't want her to have any regrets when she gets older, but also because I want her to learn to overcome things that are hard - to not quit because something takes a little bit of work. But how do you teach your children those types of life skills? Sometimes, I wish that parenting came with an instruction manual. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment