Sunday, November 17, 2013

Singing Praises of Thanksgiving (2)

Photo by Photo by The Purple Lady.
So, it's week two of our 2013 Thanksgiving gratitude challenge. For more information on this year's challenge, or if you missed last week's list, check it out here

Now, on to my list. This week, I am thankful for:

1. Book club - being a stay-at-home mom while we only have one car is sometimes difficult because I don't get out of the house much - nor do I have the opportunity to visit with other adults regularly, and the isolation can really pull on my sanity strings a bit. I can't tell you how many times I have left book club after an awesome discussion with my fellow LDS book club gal pals, and have felt truly edified and uplifted. It's an awesome group, and I am grateful to be a part of it;

2. Uplifting music - music is such a beautiful gift from our Heavenly Father. I have been feeling a little overwhelmed lately with the stresses of life and parenthood, and as I sat down with my family in sacrament today, the two babies started fussing and being irreverent. Almost immediately, I felt myself thinking, "Why am I even here?" And I started feeling frustrated and discouraged, as I knew I would have to take them out of the chapel. But then two wonderfully talented sisters in my ward performed an instrumental rendition of "Come Thou Fount" (a piano and flute duet), and as I sat there listening to the music, my soul was uplifted and I felt the spirit whisper to me that I am a daughter of my Heavenly Father - that I am loved, and that I matter. I then felt a reassuring confirmation that I was in the right place, and that I was pleasing the Lord through my obedience, despite the challenges of having young kids who can't seem to sit through an entire sacrament meeting - ever. Naturally, the tears began streaming, and I said a silent prayer of gratitude to the Lord for knowing what I needed, and for blessing me in that moment with encouragement, comfort and peace. It's amazing what you can get from a beautiful hymn, even when there are no words being sung;

3. Chocolate - enough said. ;)

4. School buses - despite all the drama that we have experienced over the last two years with the school buses here in Clark County,  I am truly grateful for the bus system. As mentioned previously, we only have one car right now, and I can't imagine how much more stressful my life would be if I didn't have a "reliable" form of transportation provided for my two children who are in the school system. L's bus comes right to the house and takes him to preschool; too, so that makes my life tremendously easier;

5. Visiting teachers - mine are AWESOME! ;)

6. Resources that allow us to put our 3-year-old in preschool. His speech has been improving by leaps and bounds, and it warms my heart to see him making new connections on a daily basis;

7. Clean water for bathing, cleaning, and drinking;

8. Airplanes, because I really want to make it back to Hawaii again some day. ;)

9. Education; and

10. My laptop :)

Please feel free to comment below on what you are thankful for this week. If you are participating in this challenge on your own blog, be sure to post a link below so that we can all share in the spirit of Thanksgiving. :)


Related link:

Singing Praises of Thanksgiving (1)

No comments:

Post a Comment