Tuesday, November 5, 2013

I HEART books!

Gems of Reflection, #40
So, here it is November, and I am just starting the Gems posts that were pulled for October. I know - so lame!

Anyway, This is going to be a really difficult Gems post to reflect upon, simply because of the fact that I love books, and I have so many "favorites." It is extremely difficult to pick just one.

As a child, I loved to read The Babysitter's Club, Judy Blume, The Boxcar Children, Bunnicula, and many more. I can say without a doubt, though, that my all-time favorite book series as a child was The Bobbsey Twins, by Laura Lee Hope. I used to collect the books in the series and my mom would ask me every birthday/Christmas which ones I still needed because she knew what a safe bet those books were where I was concerned. Hehe. When M started reading chapter books and her own love of reading became evident, I gave her my collection and she plowed right through them. That is some good reading there. ;)

As a youth, my favorite book was The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain. I think it was all the adventures that were had that made that book so exciting for me. This book is probably what sparked my love of adventure/fantasy books.

As a young adult, I was introduced to The Wheel of Time series, and I totally fell in love. I had read other fantasy series, such as the Dragonlance Chronicles - and those were good, but The Wheel of Time was epic. Robert Jordan created a magnificent fantastical world in these books (much like that of Tolkien's The Lord of The Rings) where you come to love the characters as if they were your own friends. While reading these books, I laughed, I cried, I sat on the edge of my seat, and I endured every adventure with angst and anticipation for how the heroes would triumph. It is seriously such a great series that I would recommend for any young adult reader (some of the content may be a little mature for the younger readers).

After Zach and I got married, his love for the Harry Potter movies rubbed off on me - and soon, I just had to read the books. I would have to say that this series definitely holds a place in my heart, and quickly became one of my all-time favorites.

I also gained a love for regency romance novels early in my adult life. Some of my favorites where this era is concerned are Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, and Sense and Sensibility. I recently discovered a new author that has released a few novels in this genre, with which I absolutely fell in love. Her name is Julianne Donaldson, and her books are Edenbrooke and Blackmoore. They are both absolutely enchanting, and I would definitely recommend them to readers of all ages. :)






Related Link:

52 Gems of Reflection

No comments:

Post a Comment