Friday, November 8, 2013

"It was then that I carried you"

52 Gems of Reflection: #43
I think the most trying experience in my life was when my parents went through their divorce. I don't want to rehash the horrible details, because it was so long ago, and I would like to think that (for the most part) many of the damaged relationships have been mended.

I will say, however, that I could not have gotten through such a trial without the love of my mother and the birth of my oldest daughter, M. I think the anticipation of her grand entrance into this world is what kept both my mom and me from losing our minds completely. She was seriously a little angel of deliverance, and we are eternally grateful for the joy she brought into our lives at a time that was otherwise overcast with the painful sting of loss and betrayal.

Also, reflecting back on that time in our lives, I am reminded of the poem, Footprints, as the line, "It was then that I carried you," echoes in my thoughts. Even though I was going through a period of inactivity when this trial commenced - and I surely didn't recognize it at the time - the evidence of the Lord's hand in my life through that entire experience flows in abundance, and I know that He had my back through it all.

In hindsight, it's easy to say that I am grateful for the trials I have faced and for the experience and testimony that were gained as a result of coming out stronger on the other side. When you are in the midst of the trial, however, and the cloud of sadness sits so low and hazy over your entire plane of existence, blackening every possible facet of your life, it's difficult to count your blessings and see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I am just grateful for my family and for the strength that was given to me to overcome this trial in my life. I truly feel that the experience blessed me eternally and shaped me into who I am as a wife and mother today, ultimately strengthening my testimony, in addition to my friendship with my mom. I don't think we were ever closer than we've grown as a result of enduring this trial together. :)




Related links:

52 Gems of Reflection

A Hope of Heaven's Light

I Can Do Hard Things

Through the Joy and the Sorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment