Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thirty Days of Gratitude - Day 18: SAHM

Photo by The Purple Lady
While cuddling with my 2-year-old today, I had a moment where I started to feel almost sad in reflection of how fast he is growing. It seems like just yesterday he was learning how to sit up on his own, how to crawl. And now, he has a baby sister that is making all of those mile stones. Now, he is the big brother that is learning to talk and communicate like a big boy. It just blows my mind how fast time flies when you have little ones.

Then, I think about Miss [M], my 12-year-old daughter. I mean, it feels absolutely unreal to even say that I have a 12-year-old. How did that happen? I remember her first day of kindergarten like it was yesterday. And when I stop to think that I only have six short years left until she is an adult - old enough to vote, old enough to go off to college and leave home - it's unbelievable. I mean, what is six years? It's the beat of a heart, the snap of a finger. And in the blink of an eye, that time will be gone.

Sometimes, thinking about it and realizing how fast it all flew by makes me feel almost desperate to hang onto every single fleeting moment I have with my children. So today, I am grateful for the ability that I have to be a stay-at-home mom (SAHM), that I am able to be around for all of the milestones my children experience - their first steps, their first words, their first day of school (I was working when [M] started kindergarten, and would have had to miss it, had I not had an extremely understanding boss that let me come in late that day); to just be able to be here when they get home from school in the afternoon, and ask them how their day went.

I am grateful for a husband who works hard so that I can have the opportunity to stay home with my children, and for his income that affords us all the things necessary to provide for our children's physical needs. I am also thankful for all of the other factors that make being a SAHM possible.

I know that what I do is significant. I love my job and wouldn't trade it for the world. :)



Related link:

All Things Purple: Thirty Days of Gratitude


No comments:

Post a Comment