Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Thirty Days of Gratitude - Day 28: My Vacuum

Photo by The Purple Lady
While re-arranging some things in the living room to put up Christmas decorations today, I had to use my awesome new-ish (we've had it for a few months now) vacuum cleaner to vacuum the carpet under the furniture I was moving. Suddenly, I was reminded of what a luxury it truly is to have a vacuum cleaner. This past summer, our vacuum cleaner broke and we went for a period of several months without one. The only method by which I had to clean the living room carpet was to sweep up any visible dirt/debris with the broom and dust pan - and let me just tell you, that is NOT fun in the heat of the summer in a house with no central air conditioning. It's amazing; too, how quickly you realize how often you used to vacuum once you no longer can, and you suddenly notice how quickly the carpet gets dirty again.

Well, when the baby was blessed back in July, we had some family coming into town and I wanted to shampoo the carpets before they got here. I didn't wanted to shampoo carpets that hadn't been vacuumed in several months; though, and we still weren't in a position to buy a vacuum, so I ended up borrowing one from a friend. What a silly thing to have to borrow, right? I sure felt silly calling her and asking to borrow it, that's for sure.

Anyway, being able to vacuum the living room today was such a blessing, and I am so grateful to have a vacuum again - especially with a toddler who is going through a food-spitting stage, and a 6-month-old baby that is now a pro crawler and has the eyes of a a hawk. She can spot the tiniest speck of food or dirt anywhere on the floor. And wouldn't you know - her fine-motor skills are getting quite proficient as well. She puts anything and EVERYTHING in her mouth these days. I vacuum the floor practically every day now, and I can't imagine how stressful life would be if I couldn't. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment