Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thirty Days of Gratitude - Day 21: Callings

Photo by The Purple Lady
Callings are a constant reminder that the Lord is omniscient. He sees the big, eternal picture in all things and knows the challenges and blessings that each of us needs to experience at any given point in our lives - those that will test our faith and inevitably make us stronger - and accepting a calling is such an incredible example of faith in the Lord's Plan for us.

Oftentimes, we don't understand the magnitude of the blessing in a particular calling until after we have served in it for a time. And I don't know about you guys, but in my experience as a member of the Church, the person who has benefited most from any calling I have held has been myself.

My husband and I served as Sunday school teachers for the 16-17-year-olds in our ward for four years, and I absolutely loved that calling. When we were first called to serve in that facet; however, I couldn't have felt more unqualified. But through study and prayer, and attempting to magnify my calling in faith, I grew not only to love the youth in our ward, but also to love the scriptures and the prophets of old whose lives we studied. My testimony was constantly being strengthened, as was my faith in the youth of the Church. Their testimonies are so incredibly pure and powerful, and I know without a shadow of a doubt that they were preserved for these last days because of their strength.

Upon being released from that calling, I felt really sad because of how much I would miss that one-on-one time with the youth in our ward. I was soon called to be a nursery worker; though, and I am excited about this new chapter in my life as well as the many life-lessons that I know I will learn from this experience.

I am so grateful for callings and for the faith that our Heavenly Father has in us when he calls us to serve. :)

























Related link:

I Can Do Hard Things!

All Things Purple: Thirty Days of Gratitude

No comments:

Post a Comment