Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thirty Days of Gratitude - Day 25: Forgiveness

Photo by The Purple Lady
One of my most favorite quotes of all time is when Mark Twain said, "Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heal that has crushed it." How beautiful, right? To think that we, as human beings, are capable of such wonderful, Christ-like love for others, that we could be able to forgive them for their trespasses against us.

Christ himself stood on the cross as he was being crucified and prayed to the Lord asking him to forgive the men who were actively in the process of persecuting him, saying, "Forgive them for they know not what they do." I can't think of a better example of someone who loves more freely and forgives more effortlessly than the Savior.

I know that none of us is the Savior, but I do believe that we should try to emulate His example - and one of the most amazing gifts in the world is the human heart's ability to forgive. It gives us the power to heal broken hearts, mend relationships, put an end to feuds, and vanquish grudges.

The scriptures tell us of the Lord's commandment to forgive all men, and I know that there are some circumstances in this life when others transgress against us and their actions seem unforgivable, but I think that the Lord requires us to forgive not only because we are in no position to judge others, but also because the Lord wants us to be free of the burden and bitterness of holding a grudge. I can't tell you how many times I have literally felt a weight lifted off of my shoulders when I made the decision to forgive another for some offense they committed against me. To truly forgive another is to find peace; Not only with others, but with yourself.

Now, I know that I am not perfect. And though I never aim to injure others intentionally, there may have been times that I've offended others in ignorance. If you find yourself in this category of people, I ask in all sincerity for your forgiveness, and pray that these experiences will allow us to grow in our friendship, creating stronger bonds and a deeper appreciation for each other. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment